When I moved to Germany in April 2011 the nearest Sephora was in Prague, Czech Republic. Needless to say, a 2.5 hour drive and an obscene fight for parking is too much to ask me to pay for the ‘good’ stuff. This was also back before Sephora would ship perfumes or pressurized anything to an APO address… ahhh how times have changed for those of you moving here now and in the future!
Anyway I had to resort to exploring DM, Douglas and Muller (all shops within a 3 minute walk from my apartment) to find new beauty products. Now, 4 years later, I am almost in tears thinking about not having access to some of the amazing products I’ve discovered here when I move back to the States next month! Sure, a couple of these products are sold in the States, but the prices are insanely lower here in Germany.
Here are the products I’ve discovered since 2011 that I really do not know how I will live without:
1. Schwarzkopf Essence Ultime Crystal Shine Heat Protector Spray. I discussed why I’m so in love with this product in my hair growth video tutorial in March. It also smells amazing. As you can see in the link the price to purchase even off the US Amazon site is ridiculous. In Germany Schwarzkopf products are in the 4-8 Euro range (currently exchanges to $5-$9).
2. Astor Big & Beautiful Lovely Doll Mascara. This mascara may be available in the States now but I had never heard of Astor products before moving here. My favorite part about it is the unique applicator. As you can see it’s extremely similar to the popular Benefit ‘They’re Real’ mascara but the Astor brand only costs about $6 a tube vs. $28 for the Benefit. If you look on the bottle of most standard mascaras you’ll see the ingredients are 98% the same. For me a ‘good’ mascara is mostly in the brush.
3. Catrice Made to Stay Inside Eye Highlighter. I’ve never found an inner eye liner that had staying power like this one does. It doesn’t flake or run and lasts 12+ hours easily but is a breeze to clean off. Also, it’s the perfect shade of pearl peach for that bright eyed look we all had naturally at 17!
4. Alverde natural tinted brow gel – 02 Dark Brown. This was actually the first brow gel I tried in Germany and have never tried another. It’s that perfect. The color has this uncanny ability to match any shade of dark brown or black brows, looks completely natural, and hold my brow hairs in place all day without feeling stiff. I deeply dislike that ‘hair-sprayed” feeling on my eyebrows that most brow gels leave.
5. Ebelin Professional Precision Makeup Egg Sponge. It’s going to sound like I’m being paid for reviewing this product (I’m not!) that’s how much I want to gush over it! First off it flawlessly applies makeup ANYWHERE wet or dry. No weird residue or smell, easy to clean and embarrassingly cheap! This sucker only costs $3! Compare that to such products as the Beauty Blender and you start questioning why you’re not booking a flight to Germany right now.
Now that I’ve mercilessly flaunted my amazing finds and repetedly mentioned how impossible they are to obtain in the States it’s time to apologize… ONE OF YOU WILL WIN ALL OF THE AFOREMENTIONED PRODUCTS!!!!!!! Yes, I’m giving away my 5 favorite German beauty products to one lucky reader with a United States address!!! So you can stop turning green and hating me now 😉
All you have to do for a chance to win is enter via the Rafflecopter widget below.
The winner’s name will be drawn May 30th. Best of luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway